Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
77. Theological Quadrangle (1931-    )

Theological Quadrangle

Theological Quadrangle, n.d.

50 West Lorain Street (Bosworth Hall)
40 West Lorain Street (Asia House)

In September, 1931, the School of Theology moved into new quarters. It now occupies a group of buildings designed to Mr. Cass Gilbert and made possible by the generous gifts of two friends of the School, the late Mrs. D. Willis James and Mr. John D. Rockefeller, Jr. The buildings were erected by the firm of Crowell and Little of Cleveland. The corner stone was laid December 14, 1930, and the Quadrangle was ready for occupancy in the fall of 1931. A double building forms the south side of the Quadrangle, Bosworth Hall providing class rooms and offices, and Fairchild Chapel furnishing an audience room seating two hundred. The triple building to the north, connected with Bosworth Hall by cloisters, bearing the names Mead Hall, Morgan Hall, and Shipherd Hall, contains the library, refectory and social and recreational rooms, as well as small apartments and dormitory rooms for about seventy students. The names of the separate units of the Quadrangle commemorate the services of five men long connected with Oberlin College. The total cost, including furnishings, was $600,000. [The Theological quadrangle has now been split into a dormitory (Asia House) and chapel and office space (Bosworth Hall). Asia House is home to 60 co-ed students and 10 visiting faculty members and their families. Bosworth Hall houses Oberlin’s Office of Development and Alumni Affairs. Fairchild Chapel is a musical peformance space and also regularly offers mass.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -