Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
10. Tappan Hall (1836-1885)

Tappan Hall, n.d.

Tappan Hall was begun in 1835 and completed in 1836. It was named in honor of Mr. Authur Tappan, of New York City, who gave $10,000 for the construction of the building. It was located near the center of the college campus, and for many years the campus bore the name "Tappan Square." The main walk across the campus passed through this building, the central corridor forming a section of the walk. There were four rooms for recitation purposes on the first floor. The upper floors contained ninety single rooms for men, each room being 8 by 16 feet, with a door at one end and a window at the other. Tappan Hall represented at that time the "ultimate idea of comfort and convenience in a college dormitory." It was torn down in 1885, "because of grave imperfections of constitution."

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -