Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
19. Soldiers’ Monument (1870-1935)

Soldier's Monument

Soldiers’ Monument, n.d.

The Soldiers’ Monument was built in 1870 at a cost of $5,000. Professor Charles H. Churchill was the architect. It was located on the southeast corner of College and Professor Streets. On it were inscribed the names of ninety-six Oberlin men who fell in the War of the Rebellion. Of this number fifty-five had been enrolled as students in some department of Oberlin College. By 1935 the Monument had deteriorated and disintegrated to such an extent as to become unsafe, and it was torn down, the marble tablets being stored by the College for some future use not yet determined. [These tablets were later incorporated into the Veteran’s Memorial located in the Wright park in Oberlin.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -