Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
18. Society Hall (1868-1917)

Society Hall

Society Hall, n.d.

The construction of Society Hall was begun in 1867 and completed in 1868. It was a two-story brick building built at the same time with French Hall, located on the west side of the Campus near the north end. As originally designed, the first floor contained three lecture rooms, while on the second floor there was a society room, from which the building took its name, and library rooms for the College and U.L.A. libraries. These libraries were located in Society Hall until the erection of Spear Library in 1885. In 1887, upon the completion of Peters Hall, the building was remodeled and the first floor was assigned to the Academy Department for recitation purposes the second floor had previously (in 1885) become the headquarters of the department of Drawing and Painting. This use continued until 1917, when Society Hall was torn down in accordance with the plan to clear the Campus of all buildings.

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -