Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
48. Shurtleff Cottage (1912-1990)

Shurtleff Cottage

Shurtleff Cottage, n.d.

Shurtleff Cottage was purchased by the College in the summer of 1912 and was remodeled for use as a dormitory for women. It accommodates thirty. This cottage, built in 1892, was the former home of General Giles W. Shurtleff, who gave forty-four years of his life to the service of Oberlin College,—as Tutor Adjunct Professor, and Professor of Latin, later as Secretary and Treasurer for six years, and for eleven years as a member of the Board of Trustees. [Shurtleff Cottage was taken out of use as it had fallen into neglect and was offered for sale in 1990.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -