Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
34. Severance Chemical Laboratory (1901-    )

Severance Chemical Laboratory

Severance Chemical Laboratory, n.d.

120 West Lorain Street

Severance Chemical Laboratory was the gift of Mr. Louis H. Severance, of Cleveland. The construction was begun in 1899, and the corner stone was laid May 31, 1900. It was dedicated with appropriate exercises September 26,1901. The total cost, including the site, was $75,000. Mr. Severance also provided an endowment of $45,000 for the Chair of Chemistry, and a laboratory fund of $10,720 for the Department of Chemistry. The Severance Chemical Laboratory is constructed of Ohio sandstone, and is located at the northwest corner of Lorain and Professor Streets. It consists of two wings at right angels to each other, each 72 feet long two stories in height, connected by a tower 27 feet wide and three stories in height. The first floor contains offices and laboratories for the head of the department of Chemistry, a storeroom, a large lecture room with a seating capacity of one hundred and fifty-four, balance rooms, and a laboratory for Quantitative Analysis. The second floor contains the main laboratories for Organic Chemistry, a library, an instructors’ room, and smaller rooms for various purposes. The architect was Mr. Howard C. Shaw, of Chicago. The building was erected by Mr. George Feick, of Sandusky. [Severance now houses the offices, classrooms, and laboratories of the college’s Psychology Department.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -