Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
33. Rockefeller Skating Floor (1895-1906)

No photograph available.

The Skating Floor was erected in 1895 at a cost of $1,400, the gift of Mr. John D. Rockefeller. It was constructed of wood, 120 by 50 feet, located immediately west of the Women’s Gymnasium. For eleven years it was used as a skating floor in winter, and as an auxiliary for the gymnasium in the fall and spring. In 1906 extensive alterations and additions were made, and the Skating Floor became the main gymnasium room of the Women’s Gymnasium.

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -