Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
44. Rice Memorial Hall (1910-    )

Rice Memorial Hall

Rice Memorial Hall, n.d.

10 North Professor Street

Constructed in the years 1909 and 1910 at a cost of $110,000, the building was named in commemoration of the life services of Professor Fenleon B. Rice and Mrs. Helen M. Rice. Professor Rice was for thirty-one years the Director of the Oberlin Conservatory of Music, and to the work of Professor and Mrs. Rice is due in large measure to the early development, the rapid growth, and the high artistic ideals of the Conservatory department. Rice Memorial Hall is a four-story structure containing six large lecture rooms, numerous studios, and over a hundred practice rooms. It is used exclusively for the work of the Conservatory. The architect of the building was Mr. A.B. Jennings of New York, and it was erected by Mr. George Feick of Sandusky. [Today, Rice Hall is filled with faculty offices, among which may be found African-American Studies, Creative Writing, Economics, English, Environmental Studies, History, Jewish Studies, Latin American Studies , Politics, Religion, and Women’s Studies. The construction project of King Memorial Hall included the renovation of Rice and the removal of its top floor.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -