Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
28. Peters Hall (1885-    )

Peters Hall

Peters Hall, n.d.

50 North Professor Street

Ground was broken for Peters Hall in the spring of 1885. It was dedicated January 26, 1887. The total cost was about $75,000. The building was made possible by the gifts of $20,000 from Captain Alva Bradley, of Cleveland, Ohio, and of $50,000 from Hon. Richard G. Peters of Manistee, Michigan. Messers, Weary and Kramer, of Akron, were the architects. The building was constructed by Messers, Doerzbach and Decker, of Sandusky. Peters Hall is constructed of stone, three stories in height, and is the main recitation building of the College of Arts and Sciences. Its most striking feature is its central court, two stories in height, around which are arranged lecture and recitation rooms. It contains also the Physics laboratories, special accommodations for work in Astronomy, and offices. The Auditorium, formerly known as Bradley Auditorium, now accommodates portions of the laboratory equipment of the departments of Psychology and Physics. [Although one of the oldest buildings on campus, Peters Hall was recently renovated (1997), and now holds state-of-the-art language labs, language department offices and, at the top of the building, an observatory and viewing deck. The Residential Life, Student Academic Support, and Student Academic Affairs offices are also located in Peters.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -