The construction of Oberlin Hall was begun in the summer of 1833,
and it was ready for use the following December. This building was
known at first as the Boarding House and later as Preparatory Hall.
It was then officially named Oberlin Hall. It was the first college
building, and contained all that there was of Oberlin Collegiate
Institute until the summer of 1835. It embraced boarding hall, chapel,
meeting house, school room, college office, professors quarters,
and private rooms for about forty students. Oberlin Hall was located
on the south side of College Street, nearly opposite the Historic
Elm. It was a wooden structure, 35 by 40 feet, two stories in height,
with a central portion carried up into an attic about 20 feet side.
In 1838, this attic was made into a third floor, which took away
from the building its distinctive feature. It passed from the ownership
of the College in 1854, and was used for business purposes until
destroyed by fire in 1886.