Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
12. Music Hall (1842-1880)

Music Hall

Artist’s rendering of Music Hall, n.d.

Music Hall was built in 1842. It was a one-story frame building, 30 by 50 feet, located on the site where Baldwin Cottage now stands. Music Hall was built through the efforts of Professor George N. Allen, the choir of the first Congregational Church, and the literary societies. It was used by the choir and literary societies, and received its name from the fact that for a number of years choir rehearsals were held there. The room accommodated about two hundred. About 1874 it was moved to a location near the Ladies Hall (Second) and converted into a gymnasium for young women. It was destroyed by fire in April, 1880.

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -