Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
37. Memorial Arch (1903-    )

Memorial Arch

Memorial Arch, n.d.

Tappan Square

The Memorial Arch was erected as a memorial to the missionaries of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions who lost their lives in the Boxer uprising in China in 1900. The cornerstone of the Arch was laid October 16, 1902, and it was dedicated May 14, 1903. The architect was Mr. J.L. Silsbee, of Chicago. The construction is of Indiana limestone. Two handsome bronze tablets perpetuate the names of the thirteen missionaries and of their five children who were massacred by the Boxers. The Memorial Arch was erected at a cost of $20,720. Of this amount, $20,000 was the gift of Mr. D. Willis James, and the remainder was contributed in small amounts by the students of the College and other friends. Oberlin was chosen as the proper place for this monument because all but four of those who suffered martyrdom were Oberlin students or members of the families of these students. The Memorial Arch is located on the west side of the campus, at the center, and constitutes the main entrance to the campus from the west.

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -