Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
90. Jones Field House (1948-2009)
 

Jones Field House, a war surplus building constructed in Oberlin in 1948 was a former World War II-era U.S. Navy drill hall that was moved here from Camp Perry, Virginia. New York architect Eldredge Snyder, who supervised the adaptation to an athletic facility, added a lobby and team locker rooms and connected it to the stadium. A mobile wooden floor covered the dirt floor and seating in the stands accommodated 1,800. Jones Field House was the site of home basketball games and practices from 1948-1971. In February 2008, College officials closed the field house after a crack was discovered in one of the trusses supporting the roof. A subsequent engineering study found that the structure unsafe and that repairing it would not be cost effective. The field house was demolished in 2009. A new practice facility for varsity and club sports athletes will be built at the skating rink.

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -