Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
50. Heating Plant (1913-1956)

Heating Plant

Heating Plant, n.d.

To supply steam heat for college buildings a central Heating Plant was built by the College during the year 1913. This plant included three Babcock and Wilcox water tube boilers of three hundred horsepower capacity each. Nineteen of the largest college buildings are heated from this plant. The initial investment of the College in the steam plant and in the necessary service mains was $108,731. The height of the stack is one hundred and ninety-five feet. The plans for the Heating Plant were prepared by the Albert M. Allen Company of Cleveland, and the construction of the plant and the installation of the pipelines were in charge of the Johns-Manville Company and the Pittsburgh Piping and Equipment Company. In 1936 new forced draft stokes were installed and also a new feed water heater, to provide better service for the present buildings and additional service for three future buildings, invoking an additional cost of $23,000. [The smokestack of the heating plant was torn down in April, 1949, and a new heating plant, north of the service building was completed in December, 1949. In October, 1952, work began to convert the remaining buidling into a rifle range. After four years, though, the building was torn down.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -