Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
41. Finney Memorial Chapel (1908-    )

Finney Memorial Chapel

Finney Memorial Chapel, n.d.

90 North Professor Street

Finney Memorial Chapel stands at the southwest corner of Lorain and Professor Streets, on the site of the former residence of President Finney. The construction was begun in June, 1907, and the Chapel was dedicated June 21, 1908, in connection with the celebration of the Seventy-fifty Anniversary of the College. It was opened for college uses in September, 1908. The architect of the building was Mr. Cass Gilbert, of New York; it was built by Mr. George Feick, of Sandusky. The exterior measurement is 165 feet in length, and the breadth of the front, including the tower is 117 feet. The body of the building has an average width of 86 feet. The total cost was about $135,000. The seating capacity is 1900. Finney Chapel was erected by Mr. Frederick Norton Finney, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, as a memorial for President Finney: “That the youth of this foundation of learning may daily meet to worship God, and that a son may honor the memory of his father.” A service is held here four days each week at twelve o’clock, attended by students and faculty. The organ, the united gift of Mr. Finney and Mr. Charles M. Hall, was built by the E.M. Skinner Company in the early part of 1915. A marble bust of President Finney, by Andreoni, of Rome, Italy, presented to the College in 1900 by Mr. Frederick Norton Finney, occupies a central position in the front vestibule. The chapel bell, a recast of the bells in the old chapel, is the gift of the class of 1902; the peal of bells, installed in the spring of 1915, and the clock mechanism for ringing the bells, are the gifts of the classes of 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917, and 1918. The reading desk and the pulpit chairs are the gifts of the classes of 1904 and 1908 respectively. [Finney Memorial Chapel now serves as a large performance hall. The Skinner organ was extensively rebuilt by Aeolian-Skinner in the early 1950s and then sold to Truro Episcopal Church of Fairfax, Virginia in 1999 with the arrival of the new C.B Fisk Opus 116. The Fisk organ, whose installation was completed in 2001, was purchased for $1,185,000 and partially financed by a $500,000 bequest by Kay Africa plus gifts from others including Richard Connelley ’50 and the Phoebe Haas Foundation.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -