Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
59. Fairchild House (1916-1948)

Fairchild House

Fairchild House, n.d.

The former residence of President James Harris Fairchild, a gift by bequest to the College, was remodeled in the summer of 1916 for the purpose of a house of residence for women. It provides rooming accommodations for sixteen women, who take their meals at Baldwin Cottage. The house was built in 1841 by the College Farmer, purchased by President (then Professor) Fairchild in 1849, and occupied by the Fairchild family until 1902. The Fairchild House is probably the oldest structure in use for College purposes at the present time. [Fairchild House was torn down in the last two weeks of June, 1948 to make room for a women’s dormitory of the same name.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -