Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
80. Embassy (1932-1963)

Embassy

Embassy, n.d.

The property at 210 North Professor Street came into the possession of the College by purchase from the Pope sisters, who had conducted it for many years as a private boarding house for college women. This use continued until 1932, when the College purchased the property and changed it to be a residence and dining hall for men. This use continues. Since 1933 it has been known as “The Embassy.” Thirty-five men are accommodated for rooms in this house, and there are table board accommodations for twenty-five additional men. [In 1952-54, Embassy was used as a boarding house for women. Other nicknames for Embassy include “The Vatican,” “The Monastery,” and “Graduate House.” Embassy was discontinued as a College dormitory in 1963.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -