Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
84. Elmwood (1933-1962)

Elmwood

Elmwood, n.d.

Burroughs Cottage, a name given by the Kindergarten Association, located at 117 Elm Street, was acquired by the College from the Kindergarten Training School in 1932, and continued to be used as a house of residence for Kindergarten students during the year 1932-33. It was then taken over for use as a College hall of residence for women, and its name changed to Elmwood Cottage. For three years it has been conducted on the co-operative plan. It furnishes living quarters for twenty women and accommodations for board for forty-five additional students. The house was built in 1870 by Professor G. W. Shurtleff. [Elmwood was rehabilitated as a social center in 1959 and torn down in 1962.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -