Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
43. Dickinson House (First) (1908-1924)

No Picture Available.

Prior to the purchase in 1908 of the private residence property at 166 West College Street, the College had acquired the back ends of lots fronting on West College Street, North Cedar Avenue, and West Lorain Street, and had developed in the area a field for intramural sports for women. In recognition of the gift of Miss Julia A. Dickinson in 1893 for the endowment for the chairs of the Dean of Women and the director of the Women’s Gymnasium, the new field house and social center for the Women’s Gymnasium and Field Association, and in further recognition of Miss Dickinson’s gift the house was named Dickinson House. The gift of Galpin Field in 1923 and the obsolescence of the West College Street property after sixteen years of use led to the purchase in 1924 of a new field house on West Lorain Street, whereupon Dickinson House (First) was torn down.

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -