Construction of the Cox Administration Building began in 1913 and was completed in 1915. It was named in memory of Jacob Dolson Cox, an Oberlin graduate, Union army general, and Ohio politician, by one of Cox’s sons, J.D. Cox. The building’s architect was Cass Gilbert of New York; the builder was George Feick of Sandusky. Inside the building, there are two lunettes in honor of Cox and his wife (a daughter of Charles Finney,) which were painted by another of their sons, Kenyon Cox. The building was renovated in 1928 to expand the office space and install an elevator, and has been renovated and remodeled multiple times since.
The Cox Administration Building currently houses the Office of the President, the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, the Secretary of the College, and the Vice President for Finance.