Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
9. Colonial Hall (1836-1866)

Colonial Hall

Artist’s rendering of Colonial Hall, n.d.

The construction of Colonial Hall was begun in the autumn of 1835 and was completed in the summer of 1836, at a cost of $5,000. It was located west of the first Ladies Hall, north of the site now occupied by Sturges Hall [Warner Concert Hall, Conservatory Complex]. It was named Colonial Hall because the colonists subscribed nearly half of the cost of the building, and in return were given the privilege of using the lower floor for Sabbath services. Colonial Hall was a three-story frame building, 40 by 80 feet. The first floor was used as a chapel, accommodating from six to eight hundred; the second and third contained twenty-two rooms used for dormitory purposes for men. The second floor contained also a large recitation room. In 1855, after the completion of the College Chapel, the first floor was divided into four recitation rooms. It continued to be used for college purposes until about 1866, when it was divided into sections of a suitable size for dwelling houses and removed to other locations.

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -