Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
5. Cincinnati Hall (1835-1840)

Reproduced from the original pen drawing made from President Fairchild's descripting by President Churchill. This drawing, owned by Marie Vail, O.C., 1916, is now on deposit in the Oberlin College Library.

This hall, also known as “Rebel Hall,” and “Slab Hall,” was built in 1835, to accommodate the students who came to Oberlin from Lane Seminary, Cincinnati. It was located approximately on the site where Sturges Hall now stands. It was a one story building, 144 by 24 feet. The outside of the building was battened with slabs retaining the original bark of the tree, which gave the building a decidedly rustic aspect. It was divided into twenty-four rooms for young men, each room being 12 feet square, lighted by a single window. The rooms were entered only from the outside, there being no internal communication. One end of the Hall was fitted up as a kitchen and dining room. Cincinnati Hall was occupied for two or three years, then used for shop purposes, and wholly disappeared about 1840.

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -