Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
2. Carpenter's Shop (1835-  ?  )

No picture available.

The second building was the Carpenter’s Shop, erected in the autumn of 1835, located west of Oberlin Hall. It was a two-story frame building, painted red, in accordance with the early vote of the colonists that all buildings should be painted in that color on account of durability. Upon the great accession of students in 1835, the carpenters’ benches were removed, and rough board partitions were erected, providing two lecture rooms and some dormitory accommodations for students. In 1836 the Carpenter’s Shop was moved to the south end of the new boarding hall for women. In 1883, the shop was still in existence, located in Carpenter's Court near Main Street. It was later destroyed by fire.

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -