Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
42. Carnegie Library (1908-    )

Carnegie Library

Carnegie Library, n.d.

52 West Lorain Street

Carnegie Library, the gift of Mr. Andrew Carnegie, of New York, is located at the northeast corner of Professor and Lorain Streets. The building is constructed of Amherst sandstone; its dimensions are 135 by 110 feet. Messers, Patton and Miller, of Chicago, were the architects, and the building was constructed by Mr. George Feick, of Sandusky, Ohio. The total cost was $155,600 of which amount Mr. Carnegie furnished $150,000. The construction of the Carnegie Library was commenced in May, 1907, and the building was dedicated June 23, 1908, in connection with the celebration of the Seventy-fifty Anniversary of the College. The first floor contains three rooms for special classes of readers, and in addition a cloak room, three work rooms, and a faculty room. The second floor contains the large reading room, 132 by 48 feet, extending across the entire front of the building, which, with the adjoining alcove, accommodates two hundred and eighty-four readers; on this floor are also the Librarian's public and private offices, a biographical library room, and the cataloguing room. The third and fourth floor are given up to the seminar rooms, fifteen in number, and are assigned to the various departments of the College. Adjoining all floors is the stack room, six stories in height. [Carnegie is now home to the labs, offices, and classrooms of the geology department and to a number of administrative offices, including Admissions, Financial Aid, the Registrar, Student Accounts, Student Employment, and Office of Equity Concerns.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -