Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
72. Browning House (1928-1975)

Browning House

Browning House, n.d.

The Browning House, adjacent to Allen Hospital, is a twelve-bed infirmary named in honor of Dr. Charles H. Browning, for many years a prominent physician in Oberlin. This building is so arranged that contagious diseases as well as minor illnesses can be cared for here. It was opened for use in January, 1928. The building was for many years a private residence located on land immediately in front of Allen Hospital. For many years prior to the opening of Allen Hospital an infirmary of similar character and bearing the name “Browning House” was operated by the College at 268 Forest Street. [Browning House was refereed to as “Allen Cottage” prior to January, 1927. It was razed in May, 1975.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -