Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
55. Botany Laboratory (Third) (1914-1961)
No picture available.

In 1914, when the College reached a decision to use the lot immediately north of Peters Hall for the location of a new Administration Building, it became necessary to move the Botany Laboratory building from that lot to a location north of Severance Chemical Laboratory. In this location the house was attached to the front of a house standing on this lot, known as Metcalf house. Several additional laboratory rooms and work rooms became available for the department. The valuable herbarium belonging to the department is stored in a two story fireproof section, erected in 1927, equipped with dustproof and insectproof steel cases. Two greenhouses have been added in recent years. [The College added a brick addition in 1927, costing an estimated $10,000, and was demolished in September 1961.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -