Built in 1861 by Ralph Plumb, a hero of the Wellington Rescue, Allencroft was occupied beginning in 1865 by Dr. Dudley Allen. In 1899 the property was given to the College by Allenís son, Dudley Peter Allen and his sister Emily Allen Severance. After becoming College property, Allencroft served as a dormitory for Academy students. Beginning in 1914 it provided room and board for women in the Conservatory. Starting in 1928 it was used as a residence hall for Conservatory and College women.
Currently, the building serves as Russian House, one of the Collegeís language-based Program Houses.