Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
66. Allen Memorial Hospital (1925-    )

Allen Memorial Hospital

Allen Memorial Hospital, n.d.

200 West Lorain Street

Under date of June 13, 1924, the Board of Trustees authorized construction of a new hospital, to be called the Allen Memorial Hospital, erected at a total cost of $146,233. The architect of the building was Mr. Cass Gilbert of New York, and the contract for construction was awarded to the Van Blarcom Company of Cleveland. Ground was broken in July, 1924, and the Hospital was opened for the care of patients October 13, 1925. The formal dedication exercises were held November 6, 1925. The hospital is a joint memorial to Dr. Dudley P. Allen, of the class of 1875, for many years the leading surgeon of Cleveland, Ohio, and to his father, Dr. Dudley Allen, who lived in the village of Oberlin from 1865 until his death in 1898, and was physician to many generations of college students. The entire interior equipment of the hospital is a memorial to Miss Myrtle Grace Vial, of the class of 1908, provided by the members of her immediate family. The ownership of the hospital is in the name of Oberlin College, but its use is for both the College and the Oberlin community. It provides twenty-five beds, with an emergency possibility of ten additional. There are four wards of three beds each, thirteen single rooms, two large sun porches, operating rooms, sterilizing rooms, offices, equipment and supply rooms, dispensary and consultation rooms, a dining room, and a kitchen. The dispensary section for college students occupies the entire south half of the east wing of the building. [The Allen Memorial Hospital now is a 91-bed health care facility associated with the Oberlin Clinic. It is a primary health care hospital offering a number of specialty services: medical/surgical services; a special care unit; maternity and pediatrics; general, orthopedic and laser surgery; diagnostic radiology (including x-ray, CT scan, MRI, ultrasound and nuclear medicine); a laboratory; a pharmacy; emergency and transport ambulance service (including helicopter transport service); and emergency and urgent care. The hospital also has an outpatient sports medicine and rehabilitation center.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -