The College seal adopted in 1911.
The new seal, which was formally adopted as the Seat of the College
at the last meeting of the Board of Trustees, was originally designed
by Miss Julia Severance for the lobby of the Mens Building.
The medallion proved so effective that the college authorities
asked Miss Severance to make a small replica fitted for a seal die.
The design does not follow the lines of the old seal at all, though
it is not an arbitrary departure. The Bylaws of the Trustees require
the college motto and an emblem to consist of a college building
and a field of grain to typify the two ideas learning and labor.
Miss Severance chose to retain the old Tappan Hall as the most characteristic
possible college building as well as the most emblematic of all
the Oberlin buildings. The building is flanked by a mass of trees
characteristic of the college new and old. The field of wheat is
well in the foreground, diversified and defined by the shocks of
grain to the right. The road which separates the field from the
building accentuates the perspective which a field of grain makes
inevitable, and gives an interesting line in the composition. The
work is broad and simple and the masses are well disposed within
the circle of the words. The high relief of the lettering with its
quaint form and heavy angles is very effective. The die will be
cut from the design at once, and it will remain the official design
of Oberlin College.