The records of the Oberlin College Museum, 1877-1964, include
correspondence, inventories, an accession book, and a catalogue
that contains information relating to the acquisition of specimens
for the natural history museum. The Accession Book covers the period
1855-1949 and contains entries that include the name of the donor,
date received, a description of the specimen, and the accession
number. The correspondence files contain letters from individual
donors. Inventory and specimen lists, that provide detail about
the holdings of the College Museum, are also included.
A small amount of financial records contains information about
the business aspects of the museum. Individual ledger sheets document
expenditures for staff and supplies.
Documentation for work completed by Professors Henry C. Cowles,
Albert A. Wright, and Lynds Jones is included. These records illustrate
the amount of work and detail that was involved in caring for the
specimens in the Oberlin College Museum.