Clarence Ward (1884-1973) was born in Brooklyn, New York on March
11, 1884. After growing up in Connecticut, he attended Princeton
University, from which he received his BA(1905), MA(1906), and
PhD (1914). While working on his PhD, Ward taught at Rutgers as
well as Princeton. After receiving his PhD in 1914 Ward accepted
a position at Oberlin College in 1916 as the Adelia A. Field Johnston
Professor of the History and Appreciation of Art. In addition to
this, Ward became the Director of the Allen Memorial Art Museum
As a professor at Oberlin College, Ward was known as an open,
caring, parental figure whose classroom nurtured learning. His
classes on European architecture,
specifically French Cathedrals, were quite popular. Ward's interests also
included New England Churches which he was able to exercise in
his plans for the design
of East Oberlin Church which he helped found and where he presided as Pastor
Upon his retirement from professorship and the Allen Memorial
Art Museum in 1949 Ward focused on his second career as an architect.
the construction of the President’s House (at 154 Forest Street), served
as the interior decorator for the 1932 Noah Hall, and contributed to the designs
of Oberlin College Hales Gymnasium, as well as the 1937 addition to the Art
While Ward felt his greatest accomplishment was the expansion
of the Art Library by 25,000 square feet, his effect on Oberlin
College and town was
From his building designs, his religious involvement in the community,
to his teaching methods Ward make a great impact on Oberlin. In 1950,
College presented Ward with the Distinguished Alumni Award. The Clarence
Art Library, part of the 1977 AMAM addition, is named in his honor.
Ward married Helen Eshbaugh on July 15, 1907. This union produced
two children: Helen (1908-1948) and F. Champion Ward (b. 1910).
Ward died in
Oberlin, Ohio on January 20, 1973.