Alcines Clair Siddall was born in Bascom, Ohio, on June 4, 1897. Siddall received his A.B. from Otterbein College, Ohio in 1919, and his M.D. from Western Reserve University Medical School, Ohio in 1922. After serving as a medical missionary in China for nine years (1923-1932), Siddall moved to Oberlin, Ohio to practice medicine. A specialist in obstetrics and gynecology, Dr. A. Clair Siddall was in private practice until 1962, when he and six other doctors founded the Oberlin Clinic. Upon his retirement from the Clinic in 1972, the Siddall Educational Fund was established in conjuction with the Allen Memorial Hospital. The fund supported Siddalls concern for continuing education opportunities in the health care disciplines.
Siddall is locally known for his many publications, his research on the history of medical practices in Oberlin, and his leadership in a Lorain County Program for the early detection of cancer in women. Siddall was also active in the development of the Allen Memorial Hospital expansion program (Oberlin, Ohio), and he frequently served as a faculty member at the Case Western Reserve Medical School, Ohio (1927 and 1973). As a result of his many activities and contributions to his community, Oberlin College presented Siddall with the Distinguished Community Award in 1973. He also received the Senior Citizen Award from the Oberlin Health Commission in 1964. In 1988, the Allen Memorial Hospital named its birthing center in his memory.
Siddall had two wives; Annett Brane (d. 1932), and Estelle Warner (Mus. B. 1936). From these two unions, Siddall had five children; A. Clair Jr. (A.B. 1949), John B. (A.B. 1950), Lawrence B. (A.B. 1952), James, and Jane. A. Clair Siddall died on December 11, 1980, in Oberlin, Ohio.