A pioneer in physical education for women, Delphine Hanna (d. 1941) served Oberlin College for 35 years (1885-1920). Hanna came to Oberlin College as an Instructor in Physical Culture in 1885; two years later she became Director of the Women's Gymnasium and Teacher of Physiology. In 1897, she was appointed Director of Physical Training, and in 1903 Director of the Women's Gymnasium and Professor of Physical Training (later Physical Education). She was the first woman in the United States to hold a professorship in physical education. She continued in this position until her retirement in 1920 as Professor Emeritus.
See Delphine Hanna's finding guide for more informatio