Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
Science at Oberlin College through the years

Old laboratory

As work continues on the new science complex (July 2002), the College Archives presents a series of photographs and a number of articles concerning the history of the teaching of science at Oberlin College.

 

The Old Laboratory, located south of Colonial Hall, was built in 1838 according to plans obtained by Dr. Dascomb when a student at Dartmouth and Yale. It was a one-story brick building, 30 by 50 feet. It contained a laboratory, a lecture room, and a private workroom for Professor Dascomb. Dr. Dascomb continued to use this building for nearly forty years. In 1868 the building was remodeled, the seats were lowered, and the lecture room was used later as a general recitation room. It was torn down in 1883, to provide a site for Sturges Hall.

See also Alfred Lothrop’s “A Century of Science” article.

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -