Tappan Hall, n.d.
Tappan Hall was begun in
1835 and completed in 1836. It was named in honor of
New York City, who gave $10,000 for the construction
of the building. It was located near the center of the
campus, and for many years the campus bore the name "Tappan
Square." The main walk across the campus passed through
this building, the central corridor forming a section of
the walk. There were four rooms for recitation purposes
on the first floor. The upper floors contained ninety single
rooms for men, each room being 8 by 16 feet, with a door
at one end and a window at the other. Tappan Hall represented
at that time the "ultimate idea of comfort and convenience
in a college dormitory." It was torn down in 1885, "because
of grave imperfections of constitution."