Cabinet Hall was constructed
by the village of Oberlin in 1851 for public school purposes,
and was used for school purposes from 1852 to 1874. It
was located north of the Morgan House, and south of the
location now occupied by Peters Hall. It was purchased
by the College in 1874 at an expense of $5,500. It afforded
six recitation rooms and a large room on the third floor
for the cabinet of Natural History, hence the name "Cabinet
Hall." In 1878 the lower floor was assigned to the department
of Chemistry, providing a lecture room, a working laboratory
for students, and a special laboratory for the professor
of Chemistry. In 1886 the northwest corner was town down.
The entire building was torn down in 1901, upon the completion
of a stat-of-the art chemical laboratory, named after Louis H.