In this layered photographic image, Albert H. Johnson (1836-99) is placed on top of two buildings for which he is identified: the Johnson House, built in 1885 and the Gas-Holder House, built in 1889. Oberlin College acquired the Johnson House property in 1912.
After attending Oberlin College Preparatory School (1853-1857), at the age of 26 Johnson enrolled at Oberlin College (1862-1865). Deciding to marry Rebecca Jenkins instead of graduating, he embarked upon a business career. Among his ventures are those of the Oberlin Gas Lighting Company and the Arkansas Midland Railroad Company. He also served as superintendent of the Sunday School at the Second Congregational Church in Oberlin, and trustee of Oberlin College (1884-1899). As president of the Oberlin Gas Lighting Company, he oversaw the 1889 construction of the Gas-Holder House located on South Main Street.
Recently the College Archives acquired the papers of Albert H. Johnson. For more information, please see the Albert H. Johnson finding guide, or the history of the Johnson House.
OC Archives is in the news! See article, "Oberlin History Goes Digital."
New website featured: The Oberlin College Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered (LGBT) Community History Project