Javanese Wayang Kulit Lesson Plan
3. Strategies & Procedures
Students will view a Power Point Presentation introducing them to the Indonesian Islands, specifically Java. From here, students will be motivated to create their own shadow puppets as they learn about the tradition of Wayang Kulit.
Students will explore the craft of puppetry as they construct their own shadow puppets from tag board. Students will also explore the culture of the Javanese peoples, as they share the tradition of shadow puppetry.
Students will build their own shadow puppets from tag board cut-out pieces, assembled with brads and sticks to allow for the movement of the arms. Students will embellish their puppets with added texture, such as beads, and decoration with patterns made with markers and or paint.
- Students will view Power Point Presentation introducing them to the Indonesian islands and Javanese Shadow Puppets. (approximately 10-20 minutes)
- Teacher will lead students to gather for a demonstration.
Demonstration: (about 5-10 minutes)
Students will have 40 minutes of studio time.
- Teacher will show patterns.
- Teacher will show students how to trace and cut.
- Teacher will introduce brads and demonstrate how to attach arms to body.
- Teacher will explain how to embellish.
- Teacher will explain expectations.
- Teacher will begin class with a refreshment of Javanese Puppetry.
- Teacher will lead demonstration.
Demonstration: (about 5 minutes)
- Teacher will show students how to finish embellishing.
- Teacher will show how to attach rods to back of puppets.
- Students will have about 30 minutes of studio time.
- Students will have ten minutes for clean up.
Continue to: 4. Assessment & Closure