Uchiwa Lesson Plan
3. Strategies & Procedures
Students will be presented with a brief Power Point slide show from artist Yukiko Shishikura
. Students will view images from Japan while they learn about Yukiko's hometown and the Summer Festival celebration.
Students will practice the dance steps (please see handout) individually and then as a group.
Students will create their own uchiwa
fan to be used in the Kuma River dance
- Fold white sheet in half (8.5" x 5.5")
- Trace around edges of uchiwa template with pencil.
- Cut out shape (while paper is folded) to create 2 equal-sized fan sides.
- Cover one half of one side of the craft stick with glue stick. Adhere to one fan side.
- Cover one side of the other fan shape with glue stick, and sandwich the craft stick between both fan sides. (Be sure to line up outside edges)
- Let glue dry.
- Decorate one or both sides of the fan using crayons or markers.
Continue to: 4. Assessment & Closure