This web page is a guide for students using PRESTO (Personal Records for Employees and Students at Oberlin) to register for their classes. To log in to PRESTO, click here.
Back to Registrar's Office home || Back to OPUS home || Back to BANNER Documentation || Back to PRESTO home
You may either scroll through this document in its entirety, or you may use the following links to see information on these registration topics:
Quick and dirty guide to registration
To register, you will need your
- RAP. You will also need to obtain your RAP (Registration Alternate PIN) from your advisor(s).
- Course reference Numbers (CRNS) for any course for which you wish to register. CRNs are available at the Schedule of Classes which is linked at the Registrar's Website: www.oberlin.edu/regist
1. Fill out a Registration Worksheet BEFORE your meeting with your advisor(s). Worksheets are available in the Registrarís Office or at our website: www.oberlin.edu/regist Go over your schedule with your advisor(s).
2. Look at PRESTO to determine when your registration appointment is scheduled.
3. During your registration window, use any computer on or off campus that has access to the World Wide Web to register. Recommended browser information is available at the welcome page for PRESTO which is located at http://presto.cc.oberlin.edu/ . The most current information on availability and up-to-date information on recommended browser versions is always available there.
4. At the welcome page, click on the Login icon (the light bulb) to begin. The system will ask you for:
- Your User ID (This is your "T" number). Click once in the User ID field and enter the number; make sure to capitalize the T.
- Your PIN. Click once in the PIN field and enter the number, then click the Login button. If this is the first time you have logged onto PRESTO, you will be told that your PIN is disabled; you will be instructed to enter a new PIN and re-enter it for verification.
- When you add your first course, you will be asked to supply your Registration Alternate PIN (RAP). This is the six-digit number you will have obtained from your advisor(s).
5. To register, follow these links:
- Student and Financial Aid Menu; then
- Registration Menu; then
- Check Registration Status (to ensure that you are registering during the correct window of time and that there are no holds on your record); then
- The system will ask you to submit a term; choose the appropriate term, then
- Add or Drop Classes ; then
- When the system asks you for your Registration Alternate PIN, enter your RAP and click Submit PIN; then
- In the Add/Drop Classes screen, you may enter your CRNs in the grid to begin the registration process.
NOTE: When navigating the PRESTO screens, DO NOT use the Back or Forward buttons on your browser. Using these buttons alerts the system to a potential security breach and will force you to re-enter your User ID and PIN. Use the Return to Menu Link at the top of each page to return to a previous menu or select another option. Once you are finished with registration, use the Exit Link at the top of the page to log out of PRESTO. For security purposes, never leave your PRESTO session logged on.
Back to top.
Quick and Dirty Guide to PRESTO screens
Two VERY IMPORTANT notes:
- When navigating the PRESTO registration screens, DO NOT use the Back or Forward buttons on your browser. Using these buttons alerts the system to a potential security breach and will force you to re-enter your User ID and PIN.
- When registering in PRESTO, you may receive error messages regarding course requests that you make. A list of possible error messages is contained in this documentation.
The Add/Drop Classes screen allows you to:
- Register for courses by inserting CRNs into the grid and clicking Submit Changes
- View courses for which you have registered
- View any registration error messages in the error grid. For a list of registration errors and what they mean, click here.
The Look Up Class to Add screen allows you to:
- Search for courses in the database
- You may search on a number of different criteria, including subject, faculty member, and time of day, but you must ALWAYS have a subject specified in order for the system to perform the search.
The Search Result screen allows you to:
- Register for classes by checking the box next to a course listing and then clicking the Register button. A "C" next to the course listing means the class is closed and you may not register for it.
- View the number of total seats and the number of seats still available in the class.
The Student Schedule By Day And Time screen allows you to:
- View/print your schedule in day/time format
The Student Detail Schedule screen allows you to:
- View/print your schedule in tabular format
Back to top.
PRESTO: A COMPLETE GUIDE
We strongly suggest that you read this entire guide before logging in to PRESTO; it will make your registration session much more successful. If you need an answer to a specific question, consult the table of links to find information on specific subjects:
How to login to PRESTO
You may use any computer you wish to register using PRESTO, as long as that computer has access to the web via abrowser which is supported for this function. For an up-to-date listing of supported browsers, always consult the PRESTO welcome page http://presto.cc.oberlin.edu
To get to PRESTO, open your browser and go to http://presto.cc.oberlin.edu. This will take you to the PRESTO home page. Click on the Login icon (the light bulb) to begin.
The system will ask you to enter:
- Your User ID: this is the "T number" that included in your registration packet. Your T number is also printed on your Oberlin College ID card. Make sure you capitalize the "T" when you enter the number into this field.
- Your PIN: this is the Personal Identification number. Click the Login button when you have entered your User ID and PIN.
If you have problems logging in, it may be due to one of these factors:
- Not capitalizing the "T" in your user ID. The T must be capitalized in order for your login to work.
- Entering your PIN incorrectly. Make sure you are entering the correct six-digit PIN and not your RAP (Registration Alternate PIN). Entering an incorrect PIN or T number into the system three times in a row will disable your account; if this occurs, you will need to visit the Registrar's Office in person with your OCID to reauthorize your PIN.
- If none of these factors is the problem, contact the Registrar's Office.
Back to top.
DO NOT use the Back or Forward buttons on your browser to navigate PRESTO. Use the Return to Menu link at the top of each page to return to a previous menu, or select another option.
When to register
You may view your registration window online by choosing the following links in PRESTO:
Student and Financial Aid Menu; then
Registration Menu; then
Check Your Registration Status; then
The Registration Status screen will indicate when your registration window will begin and end. This screen will also indicate if a hold has been placed on your registration. A hold will prevent you from registering using PRESTO. If you have a hold, please contact the Student Accounts Office to resolve the situation before you are scheduled to begin registration.
Back to top.
Adding courses to your schedule
Follow these steps to register for classes in PRESTO:
Back to top.
- Login to PRESTO using the steps outlined in How to login to PRESTO.
- Select the following links:
- Student Menu; then
- Registration Menu; then
- Add/Drop classes
- The system will prompt you to enter the term for which you want to register. Select the appropriate term and click the Submit Term button.
- When you click the Add or Drop Classes link, the system will prompt you to enter your Registration Alternate PIN (RAP). This is the number you will have obtained from your advisor(s) prior to registration. Enter the RAP in the field and click the Submit PIN button.
- The Add/Drop Classes screen will now appear. Initially, this screen contains a grid where you enter the CRNs of the classes for which you wish to register. Type the CRNs into the grid and click Submit Changes; this action registers you for those classes.
Using CRNs to add classes
- A Course Reference Number (CRN) is required in order to register for any course or section. Every course and section in the catalog has a unique, four- or five-digit CRN which identifies that course in the system. CRNs are listed in the Schedule of Classes (see the link at www.oberlin.edu/regist).
- At the Add/Drop Class screen, enter the CRN into the grid. You may enter as many CRNs into the table as you like (keep in mind, however, that the system will not allow you to register for more hours than you have permission for). After you have entered your CRNs, click Submit Changes.
- The screen will show you the courses for which you have successfully registered. An error grid underneath your registered courses will list the courses you were not able to register for and will contain a message telling you why the registration was unsuccessful. For a list of error messages and their definitions, click here.
- You may now enter a new CRN by entering it in the grid and clicking the Submit Changes button again. You may also search for an available class by clicking the Class Search button.
- When a course appears on your Current Schedule, it means you have successfully registered for that class.
Back to top.
Searching for courses
You may search the PRESTO database for courses by clicking on the Class Search button in the Add/Drop Classes screen or the Look Up Class to Add link on the Registration Menu. Be aware, however, that you have the capability of bringing back a massive amount of data in a search; be careful to narrow your searches as much as you can, and be aware of your computer's memory limitations when performing searches. Follow these steps to search for classes in PRESTO:
- Go to the Look Up Classes to Add screen, either from the Registration Menu or by clicking the Class Search button at the bottom of the Add/Drop class screen.
- In the search screen, you may use one or several criteria to search for a course, but you must select at least one subject to use the search mechanism. To select more than one subject on a Mac, hold down the Apple key on your keyboard as you select each subject. On a PC, hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard as you select. Note: DO NOT select more than three subjects for any one search. Highlight the other criteria on which you want to search and then click the Get Classes button.
- Be patient while the system compiles your search results; it may take a few moments. If you want to stop a search, click the Stop button on your browser to interrupt the process.
- The system will return a list of classes that correspond to your search criteria. If there is a checkbox in front of the CRN, it means there are still spaces available in the course. If a "C" appears in front of the CRN, it means the course is closed. By using the horizontal scroll bar across the bottom of your screen, you can view how many seats are left in the class as well as other information.
- Note that in both the Schedule of Classes and on the PRESTO screen, the letter "R" as used in class times means "Thursday."
- To register for a course from the search screen, check the box next to the CRN of the course you want and click the Register button. If there are no conflicts, this will add the course to your schedule.
- If you know that you want to register for a course on your Search screen, make sure to click the Register button and not the Add to Worksheet button. The Add to Worksheet button will only put the CRN in the grid in the Add/Drop Class screen; clicking this button will NOT register you for the course.
Back to top.
Registering for consent courses
There are two ways to obtain entry into a consent course; your consent will depend on the method the particular instructor chooses to use: web consent or a Schedule Adjustment Request.
- If the instructor chooses to use the web consent option, he/she will enter you directly into PRESTO, which will allow you into the course during your registration window. When you visit the professor to obtain consent, he/she will ask for your ID number (your "T number") and then enter your consent directly into the system. Once the professor has entered consent, you may register for the course during your session on PRESTO.
- If the instructor chooses to use the Schedule Adjustment Request option, you must submit a Schedule Adjustment Request card to the Office of the Registrar with the signature of the person in charge of consenting the course (usually the instructor). After the Schedule Adjustment Request is processed, the class will appear on your schedule in PRESTO.
- For students planning to register for Private Study in the Conservatory (principal or secondary) or any Chamber Music course, consent of the Associate Dean is required. For students currently taking a Private Study, you will be web-consented into the course and may use PRESTO to register for it during your registration window. For students not currently taking a Private Study, see the Associate Dean. Chamber Music courses and other ensembles will not be available for registration until the fall. Please contact the Conservatory Associate Dean in Bibbins 123 or at extension 58293 if you have questions or problems.
Back to top.
Registering for variable hour courses
If a course is listed in the Schedule of Classes with a range of hours (for example, ".50 TO 3.00"), it means that it is a variable hour course and you have the option of choosing the hours. To change the number of hours, follow these steps:
- Register for the course as you normally would. A "default" number of hours will display in the Cred column on your Add/Drop screen.
- If the "default" number of hours displayed is the number for which you would like to take the course, do nothing. If you would like to change the default number to another number, click on the Return to Menu button and choose the Variable Hours Option link from the Registration Menu (you may do this at any time during your session).
- The variable hour course will appear on the Variable Hour Options screen with a box that will allow you to modify the number of hours. Enter the correct number of hours into this box and then click on Submit Changes. The same screen will return with the new hours in the box.
- At this point, you can click on Return to Menu to continue registering, or Exit PRESTO if you are finished.
- Note: The hours of Private Reading and Private Study courses cannot be modified using PRESTO. To modify the hours of a Private Reading, you will need to fill out an Add/Drop card and turn it in to the Office of the Registrar by the deadline. To modify principal Private Study hours to 5 or 6 credits, fill out an Add/Drop card (including the signature of the instructor) and turn it in to the Conservatory Associate Dean by the deadline.
Back to top.
Viewing class times
- To see the days and times of the classes for which you are currently registered, click on the View Student Schedule by Day & Time link to see your classes in a day/time grid. You may also click on the Student Detail Schedule link to see your classes in a tabular format.
Checking for open seats in a course
- To check for open seats in a particular class, click the Class Search link. Highlight the appropriate subject and enter the course number (i.e. "101" for English 101) and click on the Get Classes button. The system will bring up the course in the search result screen; by scrolling over to the right, you will see three columns: "Cap," "Act," and "Rem." These stand for the Capacity of the course, the number of students who have Actually registered so far and the Remaining seats left open in the course.
Back to top.
Dropping classes from your schedule
- To drop a class, go to the Add/Drop Classes screen to view your current schedule. In your schedule, click on the pull-down menu in the column titled Action. Choose the **Web Drop** option and then click the Submit Changes button. PRESTO will remove the course from your schedule.
- Keep in mind that if you drop a course that is linked to another course (i.e. a lecture that is linked to a lab), PRESTO will drop you out of the linked course and put it into your error grid. For example, if you are currently registered for a Biology lecture and lab and you drop the lab, PRESTO will remove BOTH sections from your current schedule and put the lecture section in your error grid with a "link" error. To avoid this, always enter the CRN for the new linked section at the same time as you drop the old linked section. For example, if you want to switch lab sections, choose the **Web Drop** option for your old lab at the same time as you enter the CRN for the new lab in the CRN grid, then click Submit Changes.
Back to top.
"Replacing" one class with another
- If you want to replace a class already in your schedule with another class (one in your error grid or an entirely new class) you may do so by choosing the **Web Drop** option in the Action column of the class you don't want (see instructions on dropping classes above), putting the CRN of your preferred class into the grid, and then clicking the Submit Changes button. NOTE: You must put the CRN of the preferred class in the Add Classes grid even if the preferred class is in your error grid.
- IMPORTANT: The system will drop you from the class you **Web Drop** even if the class you want to replace it with is already full. Be very careful when dropping a class to make sure you can replace it; you may want to check to make sure that your preferred class has open seats, for example, before you drop a class you are already registered for.
Back to top.
Error message definitions
||The course/section is fully enrolled
||Call the academic department to ask about a waitlist for the course.
| Link Error: xx Required
|| You have attempted to register for a course or section that requires a "linked" CRN. For example, you cannot register for a lab without registering for the associated lecture, and vice-versa.
|| Enter the CRN of the two required "linked" courses (i.e. both the lecture and the lab) in the Add/Drop grid and click Submit Changes. Both courses should appear in your schedule.
| Dupl CRSE with Sec xxxx
|| You have already registered for this course/section.
|| If you want to keep the course that is in your current schedule, do nothing. If you want to switch to the course in your error grid, **Web Drop** the course in your current schedule, put the CRN of the error grid course in your Add Classes grid, and click Submit Changes.||
| Time Conflict with xxxx
|| This course/section conflicts with a course for which you are already registered.
|| If you want to keep the course that is in your current schedule, do nothing. If you want to switch to the course in your error grid, **Web Drop** the course in your current schedule, put the CRN of the error grid course in your Add Classes grid, and click Submit Changes.
|| You must register for a corequisite course to be taken during the same term as this course.
|| Enter the CRNs for both courses into the Add Class grid and click Submit Changes.
| Instructor's Signature
|| This is a course for which you need the consent of the instructor.
|| See the person in charge of consenting the course, who will either web-consent you (you may then register for the course during your registration window), or sign a Schedule Adjustment Request, which you then must submit to the Office of the Registrar.||
| CRN does not exist
|| The CRN is not recognized by the system. You may have entered the number incorrectly or the class may have been cancelled.
|| Check the CRN in the Supplement to make sure you have the right one. If it still fails, call the Office of the Registrar.
| Pvt Rdg Card to Registrar
|| Private Readings cannot be handled via PRESTO.
|| Complete your Private Reading card and hand it in to the Office of the Registrar.
|| The only open seats in the course are reserved for students who meet specific criteria (i.e. major or class).
|| If you think you do meet the criteria for the class, contact the Office of the Registrar.
| Reserve Closed
|| Since the seats in the course that have been reserved for your major or class are filled, you cannot register for the class.
|| Check your Registration Status screen to make sure your class and major information is correct in the system. If it is incorrect, contact the Office of the Registrar.
| Class Restriction
|| The course has seats reserved for students who meet specific criteria (i.e. major or class); since you do not meet these criteria, you cannot register for the class.
|| If you think that you do meet the criteria for the class, contact the Registrar's Office.
| Max Hours Exceeded
|| The system will not let you register for the course since it would exceed your maximum allowed credit hours (16 for A&S students, 17 for Conservatory and DD students).
|| Clear your error grid if you have one; the system counts the hours in your error grid againt your max hours. Otherwise, drop a course in your current schedule to make room for the new course. Note: if you have multiple error messages in your grid, ALL of them will revert to "Max Hours Exceeded" once you go over your allowed hours.
Back to top.
Managing your error grid
Your error grid can be a useful tool as long as you keep a few things in mind:
- Your error grid (and the courses in it) will disappear from your Add Classes screen once you perform another function.
- In order to add a course currently in your error grid, you ALWAYS must put the CRN in the Add Classes grid again to register. For example, if you try to register for CRN 1234 but get an error message because of a time conflict with CRN 5678 which is currently in your schedule, you need to **Web Drop** 5678 and put 1234 in the Add Classes grid before clicking Submit Changes.
- If a class is in your error grid because of a time conflict or link error, drop the time-conflicted class or put the CRN of the needed link in your Add Classes grid along with the CRN of the course currently in your error grid. Clicking Submit Changes will add the course(s) to your schedule.
Back to top.
Re-entering your User ID and PIN
PRESTO may require you to re-enter your User ID and PIN during your session if youlet the system idle for fifteen minutes during your registration session. If you don't do anything in the system for more than fifteen minutes while you are logged in to PRESTO, the system will require you to re-login for security purposes.
Printing your schedule
Once you have completed the registration process, you may print a copy of your schedule. Note that there may be classes that do not appear on your schedule if the time is TBA. Also note the "schedule for today" and "schedule prior to" links at the bottom of your schedule screen; these links will take you to your module-specific schedules.
- Go to the Student Schedule By Day & Time screen, which will show you your schedule in a day/time grid, or to the Student Detail Schedule screen, which will show you your schedule in a tabular format. Click on your browser's File pull-down menu at the top left of your screen and choose the Print option.
- If you choose to print out the Student Schedule By Day & Time, we suggest that you reduce the print parameters of your schedule to fit on one page, To do this, choose the Page Setup option in your browser's File pull-down menu and click in the Scale box. Change the scale to 75%. Now you may choose the Print option to print your schedule.
- Note: if the computer at which you have registered is not connected to a printer, you may wait to print out your schedule at your convenience. You do not need to be within your registration time ticket window to print out your schedule; you may do this at any time.
Back to top.
- When you have completed registration and (if you chose to) print your schedule, click on the Exit PRESTO link at the bottom of most screens. To further protect your privacy, you should quit the browser completely (especially if you are in a public lab) by choosing the Quit option in your browser's File pull-down menu. This insures that nobody can "back into" the system using your User ID and PIN.
Back to top.
Using PRESTO outside of registration
There are a number of functions you will have access to regardless of your registration start and end times. Using your User ID and PIN, you have access to the following at any time:
- Your current schedule for both viewing and printing purposes
- The search process (i.e. to view courses that are full or filling up fast)
- Your Registration Status, including holds
Back to top.
Protecting your PIN
- If you want to change your PIN number, choose the Personal Information Menu from the PRESTO Main Menu, and then click on the Change PIN option. Follow the directions on the screen to change your PIN.
- DO NOT share your PIN with anyone else!
- If you lose or forget your PIN number, you will need to visit the Office of the Registrar in person to obtain it. Be sure to bring your Oberlin College ID card with you.
Where to go for help
Back to top.
||Phone extension: |
| Need help with PRESTO or some aspect of the registration process
|| The Office of the Registrar
||58450|| Need help connecting to Presto
|| The CIT Help Line
|| Have questions about a waitlist for a specific course
|| The academic department offering the course
|| Need to get consent to register for a course
|| The individual responsible for the consent; the instructor, the department chair, or the Conservatory Associate Dean (for Con courses requiring Dean's Consent)