Banner 4 Cheat Sheet
Most of the differences in Banner 4 are surface ones, having to do with appearance and navigation. This cheat sheet will introduce you to the major navigational differences in Banner 4; for more detailed information about functional differences in Banner 4, contact your module administrator.
- The first screen of Banner 4 presents you with menu options. If you do not use menus to find Banner forms, you can ignore these menu options. You can still use the Direct Access box, located in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, to access your forms: simply type the form name in the Direct Access box and hit Return.
- If you do use menus to find your forms, locate the menu item called Product Menu in the left hand menu and click once to bring up the modules in the right-hand menu. Click on the appropriate item to bring up the module menu. From here, you will see the same menus and forms as in the old version of Banner. Simply click on a form name to access the form.
Here are the three major differences in Banner 4 regarding your forms:
- Buttons: the buttons you are used to seeing across the bottom of your form are now gone. Buttons never appear across the bottom of your form anywhere in Banner 4. All your button functionality is now located in your toolbar; across the top of your screen. Holding your cursor over each button in the toolbar will bring up a yellow balloon telling you what that button does. Some important buttons to know: Save is on the far left-hand side of the toolbar; Rollback is to the right of Save; Select is to the right of Rollback; Exit is on the far right-hand side of the toolbar.
- Options menu: your Options menu is no longer one of your pulldown menus. Your options now always appear in the left-hand window pane of your screen. When you put your cursor over an option in the list, it will turn blue; this indicates that you can click to access that Option. Many of your branch windows will be located in the Options menu.
- Searching: there is a new search tool available to you that allows you to perform a name search in the key block without going to SOAIDEN or another search form. For details on this new tool, see the Banner 4 navigation syllabus for your module (available at http://www.oberlin.edu/~acs/opus/bandoc.htm). To search the "old-fashioned" way using SOAIDEN or another search form, click on the flashlight button located to the right of the name field in the key block of your form. This flashlight button behaves the same way that the ID button behaved in the old system: clicking on it will take you to SOAIDEN to perform a name search. When doing a search in SOAIDEN, remember that your Select button is now in the toolbar, located next to Rollback on the left-hand side of the toolbar.
Back to OPUS home || Back to BANNER Documentation